Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sat Nov 9 08:21:48 EST 2002

oleg_inconnu at myrealbox.com (Oleg) writes:

> Hi
>
> I don't know much about Python, but I looked at this comparison
> between Python and Common Lisp (
> http://www.norvig.com/python-lisp.html ), and I couldn't help but
> wonder why Python is popular, while Common Lisp and Scheme aren't?

For Common Lisp, at least, my guess is: a bizarre mix of history, bad
teaching, things that "everyone knows" that are plain wrong, a fright
reaction on seeing syntax you're not used to[1] and tendency to ignore
the rest of the world.

Scheme, maybe because there are almost as many implementations as
users?

Cheers,
M.
[1] How many people went "significant indentation! ugh!"?

--
  SPIDER:  'Scuse me. [scuttles off]
  ZAPHOD:  One huge spider.