Popular conceit about learning programming languages

Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Sun Nov 24 16:49:25 EST 2002

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Pascal Costanza wrote:
>

>>Alex Martelli wrote:

>>>There is.  Jython, www.jython.org, is an implementation of the Python
>>>language in and for Java -- complete, working, and quite solid.
>>
>>Ah, yes, of course. But you don't want to suggest that Java is a
>>language that is useful for doing hairy and complex stuff. (Sure, most
>

> More productive than C, at any rate; and we see oodles of "hairy
> and complex stuff" done mostly in C and fairly well too.
>

>>things become hairy and complex in Java, but that's a totally different
>>story. ;)
>>
>>I mean, Python is already more advanced than Java.
>

> Oh, I agree with this, but that's not the point.

Er, I have thought that's exactly the point. What do you need a
backstage language for that is less powerful than the frontstage
language? (I guess that Jython is useful to take advantage of the Java
APIs and its platform independence.)

>>So my main vision is to turn Common Lisp into such a kind of common
>>runtime for various languages. That's one reason why I started the JVM
>>implementation in Common Lisp.
>>
>>Does this make some sense?
>

> Sure.

Thanks. ;)

>>P.S.: I know that this sounds like a major undertaking. ;)
>

> Not just "sounds" -- surely IS.  But so what -- major undertakings
> do sometimes succeed, after all!-)

:-)

--
Given any rule, however ‘fundamental’ or ‘necessary’ for science, there
are always circumstances when it is advisable not only to ignore the