wxPython or PyQt

Leazen leazen at uol.com.ar
Thu Nov 7 10:09:57 EST 2002

 I started my GUI programming in Python with Tkinter and quickly
switched to wxPython. I have not tried pyQT since I have only developed
for Windows and the lic. stuff was an annoyance.
 I have done only one project in wxPython in Windows.

Ken Godee wrote:
> Serge,
> I've just been going thru this same question myself
> trying to decide which way to go. wxPython / PyQt and
> have decided to go the PyQt way for my first adventures
> in python/GUI. I've both running on my system now
> Here's a couple of things I've noted.....
>
> wxPython is a wrapper around wxWindows which is a wrapper
> around (ie.) GTK.
> PyQt is a wrapper around Qt.
> Installing and Compiling all the way to wxPython was a pain.
>
> There's really no "free" ide like qtdesigner in wxPython.
> PyQt's code seems cleaner and easier to translate the
> c++ doc's.

 As for the free IDEs, there is Boa (boa-constructor.sourceforge.net)
and PythonCard (sourceforge.net/projects/pythoncard/) (at least).
 I use Boa and find it very good (use the CVS version) though it doesn't
work with the latest version of wxPython (the problems of working with
unstable APIs I guess) and some features need to mature.
 I didn't like PythonCard, I guess it is to foreign to my VB past. :)

> PyQt's (Qt) widgets seem better, ie... take a look at the "MDI" for
> both, opps, you can't, there isn't one for wxPython running on Linux
> only for win. ie. wx only takes on the native look and feel of the base
> system vs Qt's builtin themeable designs, etc......

 There is also wxUniversal but there is no Python wrapper yet.
 wxUniversal would use X directly, just like QT, if I understood correctly.

> I think your right, the lic. issues was the hardest thing that keep
> drawing me back and forth when trying to decide between the two.
> But.... when I really thought about it, I'll really be working only on
linux
> anyway.
>
> The user base for wxPython is quite good and is being updating.

 I think a new stable version will be released within a couple of months.