A vision for Parrot

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Mon Nov 4 16:35:57 EST 2002

In article <20021105221004.339206f3.occitan at esperanto.org>,
Daniel Pfeiffer  <occitan at esperanto.org> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>this morning it struck me that it would be nice to have Parrot not only
>run Perl 6 and similar byte code, but that any of the common interpreted
>languages be compiled to this same byte code.
>
>Then no matter whether running a Perl 6, Python, Ruby, Tcl maybe even
>bash script the same interpreter library would be used.  Then likely it
>would already be in memory speeding up start time.
>
>And this would also ease cross language module/library inclusion.
>Imagine instantiating some Python class from Perl!
>
>Apache would essentially have a mod_parrot.  Maybe, if this can be
>tested very hard, we'd even have a Parrot kernel module for all Unices
>supporting that.  Then exec() could perform compiled scripts right away,
>like machine code :-)
			.
			.
			.
This thought inspired enthusiasm in others long ago--from
before it was named "Parrot", at least.

Availability of all the pieces your vision requires is at
least several years away, barring miracles.  I don't par-
ticularly expect it to happen.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net