relational tools?

Eddie Corns eddie at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Fri Nov 1 05:54:24 EST 2002

Jeff Sacksteder <jwsacksteder at ramprecision.com> writes:

>I'm looking for information regarding performing relational operations on
>python native datatypes.

>As an example, consider the following: I read comma-delimited file into a
>list then I read the result of an ODBC sql query into another list. I want
>to then be able to use SQL or a close approximation of it to do select and
>join queries using the two lists as relational tables.

Remember SQL is not the essence of relational databases.  If your DB is small
enough to fit in memory you can use the relational alegbra directly (it's
mostly simple set theory).  A quick google search on 'python relational
alegbra' found these two interesting articles:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/159974
http://starship.python.net/crew/aaron_watters/kjbuckets/announce

There may be more.  Searching on 'python relational calculus' may also uncover
something.

Eddie