Anna revanna at mn.rr.com
Tue Nov 19 23:15:49 EST 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 07:50:57 +0000, Robin Munn wrote:

> Brad Hards <bhards at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>> I'm certainly amazed at the tolerance people have for questions that
>> are readily answered in a number of on-line tutorials, and in both the
>> Python books that I have (Learning Python and the Python Cookbook). In
>> the end, the friendly attitude may be the killer feature.
>
> Out of curiosity, do you think a response like: "That's covered in the
> Python tutorial -- look at [URL]" will strike a newbie as friendly or
> not? I ask because that's the kind of answer I will tend to write when
> I'm in a hurry. Sometimes I will take the time to phrase the answer in
> my own words, but often I won't want to duplicate the work that someone
> else has already done in writing that tutorial. So if you were a newbie
> getting a curt response like that, would you feel it was a brushoff, or
> would you feel like your question had been answered?

Okay - you asked. And since I am a newbie, I´ll answer.

Before asking a question here, I´d have already read the tutorial (and
probably 3 more tutorials and done a google search too). I wouldn´t feel
comfortable asking here unless I had.

So if I´m still here asking, it´s because I need an answer that *isn´t*
just a reference to the tutorial, something from a live human being... So,
yeah, I guess I would consider it a brushoff, unless you took the time to
expand on the tutorial in some way... Personally, I´d far rather get no
answer than ¨RTFM, silly newbie¨... cuz chances are, I already did...

Just my $.03 worth.

Anna