if <assignment>:

Anton Vredegoor anton at vredegoor.doge.nl
Tue Nov 26 05:40:19 EST 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 04:09:32 GMT, Courageous <jkraska at san.rr.com>
wrote:

>In my own personal experience, the most common typo I make in C like
>languages is the =/== error. I'm lucky enough to generally see this
>error before I send it to the compiler and fool myself into thinking
>the code is good.

It seems strange that the - in my opinion - most frequent cause of
typos in C has spilled over to Python in a mutated and slightly less
prominent form and could stay undetected there for a long time. I mean
the ";" symbol that is (not) needed to close a statement in C and it's
related form, the ":" symbol that is needed (?) in Python's "if"
statement.

It is errors caused by requirements like these, and the code-reuse
fallacy (which meme has kept microsoft at the top of the software
development industry for decades) that have stalled economic and
social progress to such a degree that there's no space colon-y (;-:)
on mars yet nor have we begun terraforming it, which is overdue for at
least 20 years.

Regards,
	 Anton.

---