building database form-applications

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 09:48:59 EST 2002

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 2:19 pm, Stephan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to evaluate tools for building Python-based form-applications for
> database interaction. So far I have looked into Boa Constructor and
> Black Adder which both seem to be promising. But what other tools can be
> recommended? And which is best equipped for rapid GUI development?

If you want develop GUIs with SQL aware widgets then look at the combination
of PyQt, the eric IDE and Qt Designer.

Although BlackAdder is built on the same technology it does not yet support
the SQL aware widgets in it's form designer, nor does it include support for
Qt's SQL classes in its version of PyQt. However, depending on what platform
you want to support, and whether you wish to sell your applications,
BlackAdder may be a better bet - and stick with "dumb" forms.

Phil