Protect Python Source

dsavitsk dsavitsk at e-coli.net
Fri Nov 1 12:27:16 EST 2002

"Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it> wrote in message
news:3mrw9.71925$TD1.3188780 at news2.tin.it...
> hope wrote:
> > a. Can i compile my python source into binary ?
>
> Yes, you can use McMillan's "installer" for both Windows and Linux
>
> > b. Can I distribute the bytecode
>
> Yes,
> > (.py) ? Can the bytecode be 'de-compiled' to source ?
>
> Of course!

> > Please advice.
>
> It is conceptually impossible to stop a halfway-competent 'cracker'
> from disassembling any compiled form of your program

This discussion seems to go on every few days/weeks and turns on whether
source is safer due to licensing or due to hiding (and the possible failures
of both methods).  While I am not technically competent to do so, I wonder
if the merits of both sides might be boiled down into a point-counterpoint
FAQ that could be posted?  Jus a thought.

-d