Services in Python

Adam Langley usenet at imperialviolet.org
Thu Nov 28 19:30:24 EST 2002

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 20:57:29 +0000, Ricardo M. Reyes wrote:

> I'm considering using Python to write a little smtp server, to do some
> automated processing of emails in my office, and I need to know if
> it's possible to make a server in Python that runs permanently under NT
> server, even when there's no user logged in, like if it was a service.
> I don't mind if it's not exactly an NT service, I just need that
> particular characteristic.
>
> Do you think it's possible? If it is, then I'll get greedy and ask for
> something else: when there IS a user logged in, I'd like the program
> to be invisible, with no icon in the task bar. Again, you think this
> is possible?
>
> I'm running NT Server 4, and may be able to use a Win2k if it's
> necessary.

There is a whole Service API documented in MSDN if you really want to know
more than you ever really wanted to about them. As with more M$ API's it's
huge, but it does work. I pretty sure the only way to run a process when the
user is logged off is to run as a service.

If memory serves, the NT Resource Kit came with a simple wrapper for
running any old .exe as a service. It may be worth your while trying
to dig that up.