Point an MS Access / VB developer in the right direction...

Dan abuse at federal.gov.au
Fri Nov 8 06:03:37 EST 2002

Hi all.

I've been an Access / VB developer for 5 years. I've run Linux at home
for 3.5 years, and I think it's about time I learned how to program for
Linux.
To start with, I would like to re-write some simple Access database
front-ends from work (which connect to a MySQL & SQL Server backend) in
Python.
Now I assume that I'm not going to find on open source IDE which allows
me to set up a query and connect it to a grid to display on a form in
'datasheet' mode (please correct me if I'm wrong). So where do I start?
Also I to choose a gui widget thingy set. I have looked at the
boa-constructor IDE, which uses wxwindows. This would be nice in my case
as it works on Win2k and Linux. Any thoughts on this? I am also
considering buying Rekall from The Kompany. It seems to provide what I
want, but it's commercial. It's not that I have a problem with using a
commercial product, but if I have a reasonable open-source choice I'll
take it.
Maybe someone has a link to a HOW-TO on making a simple data-aware form?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Dan