A vision for Parrot

Frodo Morris graham.lee at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 5 22:38:06 EST 2002

Benjamin Goldberg wrote:
> Frodo Morris wrote:
>
>>Daniel Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>Apache would essentially have a mod_parrot.  Maybe, if this can be
>>>tested very hard, we'd even have a Parrot kernel module for all
>>>Unices supporting that.  Then exec() could perform compiled scripts
>>>right away, like machine code :-)
>>
>>I would have thought that a more platform-independent version of
>>this would be, say, a parrotd, which sits on top of the kernel,
>>intercepts calls to exec() bytecode and spawns the relevant processes.
>

> What advantage would this have over putting a #! line in the bytecode?

Faster, better, cheaper.
Imagine if parrot could understand all interpreted code.  Why not leave
it running, so that any Perl/Python/Tcl/Ruby/Java/sh/BASIC/whatever code
can get to it immediately?  A parrotd exec would consist of: "Run this."
  "OK".  A #! consists of "Does this file exist?"  "Yes."  "Does it
work?"  "Yes."  "OK, run this."  "OK".  I contend that a properly set up
parrotd *should* be faster than the equivalent "each language set up
separately" environment.

--
FM