accessing front of a list

Simon Bunker simon at rendermania.com
Tue Nov 26 19:50:35 EST 2002

This is probably a fairly newbie question - and also because I am
coming from a Perl background. I was wondering if there is a Python
equivilant to Perls shift operator?

There seem to be many ways of getting access to the end of an array -
pop() append() etc but I couldn't find anyting to shift off the front like
when
reading in argv.

This may be becausde I was only learning from the online tutorial/docs which
I have't finished going through. Are there any books worth buying -
particularly
O'Reilley ones? I have seen Learning Python but don't know if this will
cover much more
(although the Perl Llama book isalways useful for Perl), the Programming
Python
and Python Cookbook and the Standalrd Library book. It would be nice if
there was a
"in a Nutshell" one.

thanks

Simon