Python documentation in DocBook

David Mertz, Ph.D. mertz at gnosis.cx
Sat Nov 16 17:05:43 EST 2002

|>     What BENEFIT would there be to putting the Python documentation
|>     in DocBook?

|At least one I can think of is that if the source were in XML,
|something I can manipulate with my eyes closed thanks both to
|its simplicity and to the herculean efforts of the many people
|who have contributed to the many Python XML technologies, I
|would have the opportunity to "play" with it, and quite possibly
|would come up with some novel things...

You can certainly be forgiven for having missed this bit of the
discussion, but Martin v.  Loewis has pointed out that you can ALREADY
generate an XML version of the docs.  Not in DocBook, but in some custom
XML format.

    http://tinyurl.com/2r9p

So you are already able to write a cutom XSLT stylesheet, or use other
XML tools to play with the documentation.

The question is really about what advantage it would have to move the
XML *upstream* in the documentation chain.  And specifically to make
DocBook/XML the headwater of the whole thing.  On that question, I
believe there is no advantage at all, and quite a lot of disadvantages.

Yours, David...

--
Keeping medicines from the bloodstreams of the sick; food from the bellies of
the hungry; books from the hands of the uneducated; technology from the