Popular conceit about learning programming languages

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Mon Nov 25 16:00:02 EST 2002

Robin Munn wrote:
> Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>>What is it about Pythonthink that is different from Otherlangthink?
>>
> I found myself writing for loops that weren't necessary, e.g.:
>
>     # Thinking in C, translating into Python
>     new_list = []
>     for item in old_list:
>         if (item % 2):   # Keep only the odd numbers
>             new_list.append(item)
>
>     # Thinking in Python
>     new_list = filter(lambda x: x%2, old_list)

Good example, and I went thru the same with CL. I do not usually read
language references just to read them, but eventually I broke down and
looked at the lonnnnng list of functions to see if I was missing stuff.
I definitely reinvented the wheel many times with CL, hopefully that
will not happen so much with Python cuz Norvig raves about Python so
I'll be /expecting/ to find CLisms in Python.

meanwhile, i feel like such an ass, even tho the hack i am translating
intervenes at the level of attr access and I have been pouring over the
doc on __getattr__ and __setattr__, damn!, I never picked up that
getattr and setattr were the implementing backdoors! hours wasted!! :)

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc