if <assignment>:

Greg Ewing see_reply_address at something.invalid
Wed Nov 27 22:01:55 EST 2002

Erik Max Francis wrote:

> I think the severity of the =/== confusion problem in C has been
> severely overrepresented in this thread.  In my opinon, in the real
> world, among competent software eengineers, it is a tiny issue.

I think it's too simplistic to regard the =/== confusion problem
as the only reason to be wary of assignments in expressions.
It also hurts readability to have expressions with assignments
buried in them.

This is a special case of the general principle that it's
usually clearer if expressions don't have side effects.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,