Tkinter wart: bug or feature?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Nov 18 05:10:29 EST 2002

Mike Clarkson wrote:

> This is still a bug workaround, just like using global. You're still
> expecting the end user to do ugly bookkeeping, but only for images:
> I don't have to hold a reference to text1 global for it to work.

if you do understand the problem, come up with a solution that works in
all cases, is possible to maintain without too much work, and doesn't break
existing code (including code that extends Tk/Tkinter, and images that are
not represented by classes in the Tkinter module), and post the patch to
sourceforge.

if not, you have to live with the fact that people who know more than you
thinks that this "evil wart" belongs to the "you'll only make this mistake once,
and only if you don't read the documentation" category, and that there are
more important things to work on.

> there are obvious fixes as I pointed out

given that your "obvious fixes" would break existing programs, it's pretty
clear that you don't understand the problem very well.

</F>