Python-list digest, Vol 1 #12935 - 15 msgs

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Wed Nov 6 20:52:17 EST 2002

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 04:26 pm, python-list-request at python.org wrote:
> Terry Hancock <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> wrote in
> news:mailman.1036618569.11393.python-list at python.org:
> >     2) Run as an independent Python application. For convenience,
> >     this can be configured as a "Helper App" in the browser so it will
> >     pop up when needed (Renderer already written -- actually a
> >     choice of them, may require AnyGUI/PyUI contribs).
>
> thats probably a good solution. even sun decided to go this way with Java
> Webstart. the "helper app" caches downloaded apps and verifies certificates
> etc. but it basicaly just registered a new mime-type in the browser that is
> started when a config file is downloaded. such a config is an XML with a
> download location for the real app.

Actually, I just meant that the program itself was the "helper app", which
is the term that Netscape 4.x uses to describe applications associated
with mime-types.  (Netscape asks you if you want to run Acrobat Reader,
for example, as a "plugin" or as a "helper app").

However, I think I see what you're getting it -- I think your "helper app" is
like the "Loader" in my "Zapplet Version 2" diagram -- a Java signed applet
that installs the program. The only difference is that you're suggesting it
install the program as a whole application instead of as a plugin for the
browser (and configures the browser to use it).  I hadn't thought of having
it do that automatically, that's interesting.

> so in that case you don't need to write any software that interoperates
> with the browser direcly. it's only started by the browser. it has its own
> configurator where you can setup the HTTP proxy etc. the only problem is
> how to register the mime type. but that's probably much easier to handle
> that writing a plugin.

Mind you I don't mean to say that I'm only going to pick one way
to run the client. I want to have at least two: a "low-buy-in" applet and a
higher performance option (which might be the application model as
you suggest) -- sort of "try before you buy".  The final decision will be
made by the user. I also like the idea of requiring the applet to run in
two environments as a robustness assurance.

Aesthetically, I prefer the idea of the client running inside the browser
window, but I'm not sure how hard I'm willing to work to achieve that. :-)

I'm definitely going to implement the Jython approach and see how
that works out. If I understand my dependencies right, it should then
be automatically possible to run it as an independent application,
without having to change the code (other than selecting the correct
renderer).

Cheers,
Terry