python gui rant

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Nov 13 14:46:55 EST 2002

In article <149oh3oxnl53k.1tyg3jioqd4rb$.dlg at 40tude.net>, Jarek Zgoda wrote:
> Dnia 13 Nov 2002 16:33:26 GMT, grante at visi.com (Grant Edwards) pisze na
> grupie comp.lang.python:
>
>> One warning: there is a very special place reserved in hell for
>> people who design GUI dialogs with hard-wired widget locations
>> so that the dialogs can't be resized.  One of the reasons I
>> really hate working with MS-Windows because of all the dialog
>> boxes that use 80% of the space in a dialog for useless crap,
>> and then show only four lines in a list-box containing 100+
>> elements.  A decent GUI would let you resize the dialog so you
>> could see more of the stuff in the list-box.  But not
>> MS-Windows....
>
> And here comes the Delphi's idea of using alignments and
> anchors. AFAIR, wxPython has also "anchors", but I didn't found
> any reasonable information on using it (except the demo
> application), so I'm forced to use sizers...

I always really like'd Testle[1]'s method of using "boxes" and
"glue".  It was almost identical to the layout scheme Knuth
chose for TeX.  I spent years working on and off with Tk's
"pack" and never could predict what it was going to do more
than half the time.

[1] A widget set and/or windowing system for Modula-3

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I want to perform
                                  at               cranial activities with