Tkinter disregards font encoding

Hans-Joachim Widmaier hjwidmaier at web.de
Mon Nov 4 03:09:11 EST 2002

Either Tkinter or Tk (the latter seems more likely to me) does not
obey the font encoding in a font specification.

My code's like this:
Font   = '-*-helvetica-bold-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-15'

    w = Label(master, font=Font, textvariable=self.priceVar,
justify=RIGHT)

But I do not get the expected Euro sign; Tk uses definitely the
*-iso8859-1 variant. The -15 is installed, I can use it with other
applications and look at it with xfd.

I'm running python 2.2.2 with Tcl/Tk 8.4.0 on Linux. The problem was
the same with python 2.2.1 and Tcl/Tk 8.3.something.

Since I'm tight on space I cannot use "EUR" as an alternative. And
then, I don't want to -- what for do I have the right glyph in a font?

Does anyone have an idea how I might circumvent that problem?

Hans-Joachim