Foot in mouth disease

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 6 20:39:56 EST 2002

GerritM wrote:
> I share the same expectation. It would be nice to have some more factual
> comparison of larger application(s). The shootout site
> http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/ does a great job in comparing "small"
> well defined problems. In general Python scores well in expressiveness
> (=small amount of loc), but not as much as factors 2 or higher.

There are some small-to-medium scale problems as part of PLEAC

    http://pleac.sourceforge.net/

Hmm.  I haven't contributed Python code in over a year, but it's
still in second place.  Ruby is almost caught up.  Maybe I should
work on things a bit more -- or anyone else here?  :)

> It would be interesting to know if our expectations are realistic for large
> applications, or only hopes. I have seen many oversold technologies, which
> don't pass a more factual comparison.

This is a hard comparison.  Anything "large" means it takes a
lot of money or time, and not worth the effort to repeat in another
language when there are no new features.

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com