Python Browser Applets

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Tue Nov 12 06:37:51 EST 2002

Richie Hindle:

> The SinkWorld website is somewhat vague about licensing - any chance of
> this editor being open source?

   It is unlikely that I'll want to put the effort into building and
maintaining the platform layer for Java unless a customer is prepared to pay
for the work. Or if I think (and I don't, currently) that there is enough of
a market to sell the Java version. GUI code requires lots of tedious
platform bug fixing. Reading the jEdit development list shows how hard it is
for a team to support Swing. I do want to release the core data structure
layer of SinkWorld on Java as open source. Once that is done, other people
may decide to write a platform layer just as others have written platform
layers for Scintilla on wxWindows, Fox, and Qt.

   Neil