using the PSF license for one's code

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Nov 5 17:43:32 EST 2002

"Donnal Walter" <donnal at donnal.net> wrote in message
news:918bc22f.0211051301.2010d077 at posting.google.com...
> If one wishes use an OSI-approved license for one's own code, there
> are many to choose from, two of which are GPL and the PSF license.
If
> one chooses GPL, there are explicit instructions at the Gnu Web site
> on how to use the license. On the other hand, I have not seen any
such
> instructions for using the PSF license. Can one simply refer to the
> PSF license without making changes? Or is it advisable to make a
> revised copy, changing the name of the name of the owner/copyright
> holder from PSF to oneself, for example? What else is required?

Since the PSF license is part of the package covered by the PSF
license, I would assume that it covers itself.  That should mean that
a) you can use and modify it (and you should change copyright holder
unless you really mean to donate it to PSF) and b) you do so at your
own risk (if you get into trouble with it, you don't sue PSF).

Terry J. Reedy

PS The above is offered on the same terms 8-).