Python documentation in DocBook

Anton Vredegoor anton at vredegoor.doge.nl
Fri Nov 15 04:30:41 EST 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:07:53 GMT, Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net>
wrote:

>The main reason we want you to log in is so we have some chance of
>giving feedback.  There were too many occasions (bugs in particular)
>where anonymous reporters were asked for more information and failed
>to give it.
>
>Bug reporting and patch submission is a two way process -- knowing who
>the other end is is a great help.

That sounds reasonable but the problem is that as the receiver of a
donation you are not in a good bargaining position. Requiring
identification instead of just asking for it will cause a lot of
information to be filtered out even before its gets a chance to be
evaluated.

If someone submits a bug fix but you can't reproduce the bug yourself
and the submitter is not reachable anymore you loose nothing but the
time invested in tracking the bug. How much time to invest in a bug
report can be determined by some smart automatized procedure but this
has to be done *after* receiving the bug report, not before.

Regards,
		 Anton.