slow on HPUX, SunOS, fast on MS Win2K and Linux?

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Fri Nov 8 06:08:51 EST 2002

On 7 Nov 2002, Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> > You could try building 2.3a0 off CVS -- it has VERY substantial
> > optimizations in terms of memory allocation and handling in
> > particular -- or, even with 2.2.2, try to force it to be built to
> > use pymalloc (I have not needed to do it so I'm not sure about the
> > details, but I'd guess it would probably be some --with-what=ever at
> > config), which is an optimized-for-Python memory allocation package.
>
> While that option exists, I would advise against using it: pymalloc
> was significantly improved before enabling it in 2.3.

True, but it does show up the platform malloc() limitations, so enabling
it for debugging the problem at hand is useful.  I tried it on a
Solaris 2.5.1 box (E3k) with 2.2.1 and was surprised at the difference
in performance with certain object creation/deletion scenarios.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia