Ethics in abstract disciplines (was: Making a better textbook (was Re: The Deitel book))

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Nov 8 10:41:07 EST 2002

Alan Kennedy <alanmk at hotmail.com> writes:

> These days, is there such a thing as a mathematics course that doesn't
> involve extensive exposure to Computer Science?

Yes, the one I did at Cambridge (UK) had very little CS content (there
were computer projects in the second and third years but you could
ignore them if you chose to -- I didn't, but I know people who did).
I think I could have attended three hours of lectures on how to
program in Pascal (I *did* ignore those -- my projects were a bizarre
melange of Python, Haskell and Common Lisp tied together by bash
scripts).

I graduated in 2000; I don't think much has changed since ('cept it
might be C and not Pascal now).

Cheers,
M.

--
  You can lead an idiot to knowledge but you cannot make him
  think.  You can, however, rectally insert the information,