A vision for Parrot

Benjamin Goldberg goldbb2 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 12 16:47:59 EST 2002

Donal K. Fellows wrote:

> Benjamin Goldberg wrote:
> > The set of bytecodes which Parrot will be using has been decided,
> > and while it's not fixed in stone, it's quite unlikely to get a
> > whole other language's bytecodes added to it.
>
> OK, let's go for a more concrete question.  What sequence of bytecodes
> would let me open a socket and talk to a remote host?  The Parrot I/O
> operation opcodes don't mention anything about sockets and nor can I
> tell how I would invoke a piece of helper C or C++ to do the job on my
> behalf.

Just as there are "stdio", "unix", and "win32" ParrotIO layers, one
would define a "socket" layer (and maybe an "xti" layer, for the really
adventurous).  Obviously, this needs a bit more C code to be added.

Once that layer is added, you could read from and write to sockets just
like you would from files.

--
my $n = 2; print +(split //, 'e,4c3H r ktulrnsJ2tPaeh'
."\n1oa! er")[map $n = ($n * 24 + 30) % 31, (42) x 26]