pitfall for your amusement

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Nov 13 06:07:09 EST 2002

Brian Quinlan <brian at sweetapp.com> writes:

> I don't like the augmented operations because, depending on the object,
> the operation may or may not be done in-place.

I can't actually think of the last time I used augmented assignment on
something that wasn't an integer (or maybe a number).

> I think that it is better to be explicit and use assignment or method
> call. That way you know what you are getting.

Certainly I'd write

    alist.extend(another)

over

    alist += another

Seems to be an unnecessary -- maybe even unwise -- bit of polymorphism.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Or here's an even simpler indicator of how much C++ sucks: Print
  out the C++ Public Review Document.  Have someone  hold it about