A really bad idea.

James J. Besemer jb at cascade-sys.com
Fri Nov 15 01:17:28 EST 2002

Erik Max Francis wrote:

> Condensing all that to 16 pages is, well, not going to do it much
> justice.

Doing "justice" to the language is not the objective.  Providing a "crib
sheet" for earstwhile experts is the primary purpose.

Keep in mind these are "pocket reference CARDs".  Once upon a time, these
tools were pretty ubiqutious.  They often were not booklets, but simply a
cardboard sheet that folds acordian-style to pocket size.  "Pages" were 3.5 x
8 in.

The intended audience is people who already know the domain but occasionally
need to double-check some detail, not necessarily newbies just starting out.
  E.g., IIRC, It gave the syntax for all the control structs in less than 1
page -- what is there to say about them really?  One page for operator
precedence.  It gave name and arg signature for stdio functions but not any
lengthy description.  Partial page to outline template syntax.  Etc.

I can't find the original ones for C/C++ and Standard libraries.  However, I
have an analogous "pocket reference" for the PowerPC -- 8 pages for the
entire architecture and instruction set.  Of course, it assumes you already
know the meaning of IBAT, DBAT, STWU, STWX, etc.

The current Python "pocket" ref is much more verbose than this standard.

 > I have serious doubts about the utility of a reference claiming

Claiming?

I dunno.  During most of the 90s I always kept a set in my briefcase and
found them helpful from time to time.

Regards

--jb

--