Tkinter wart: bug or feature?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Nov 16 09:57:28 EST 2002

David Eppstein wrote:

> ...or do all the ugly bookkeeping necessary to make sure that image1
> gets deleted when and only when it is no longer needed

where all the "ugly bookkeeping necessary" is one extra line:

    lbl = Tkinter.Label(win.window, image=image1)
    lbl.photo = image1

which guarantees that the image won't be collected before
the widget itself.

> which is what I thought Python was supposed to save us from having
> to do.

    "When someone says 'I want a programming language in which I
    need only say what I wish done,' give him a lollipop." -- Alan Perlis

</F>