hex/oct constants > sys.maxint will return positive values in Python 2.4 and up

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Wed Nov 6 13:57:45 EST 2002

My jonpy modules are producing the following warning when compiled
under Python 2.3 (current cvs):

  FutureWarning: hex/oct constants > sys.maxint will return positive
  values in Python 2.4 and up

The offending line of code is as follows:

  data = struct.pack("!I", len(nameval[0]) | 0x80000000)

As far as I can tell, this change, when it comes in, will make no
difference at all to the way this code works. Am I right? What am
I supposed to do to make the warning go away? Rewrite 0x80000000 as
0x40000000 * 2 ? ;-)