PyQwt

Jim jbublitzNO at SPAMnwinternet.com
Fri Nov 1 00:25:19 EST 2002

Mark wrote:
> I'm trying to play with PyQwt.

> I have python-2.2.1, Numeric-21.0, qt-3.05-r2, sip-3.4, PyQT-3.4 installed
> on my system [it's a gentoo system so I didn't build them by hand].  When I
> attempt to follow the instructions at:
> http://gerard.vermeulen.free.fr/installation.html#UNIX-INSTALL
> I run into a small problem trying to set
> sip_spec_dirs = ['/usr/share/sip/qt'] to the place that has "qtmod.sip &
> friends".

> The problem is, I can't find a single *.sip file on my machine (beside in
> the source code for PyQwt.  If I download PyKDE I can find some .sip files,
> but nowhere else.  Is PyKDE needed for    qtmod.sip?  Is it possible that on
> e of the gentoo packages [such as for qt, sip, or pyqt] is not installin
> g everything it should?  How can I test out the installation of thes
> e programs?  About all I've verified is that I can run the "eric" debugge
> r that comes with pyqt (I think that is what it comes with) and I've toye
> d around with Numeric.  I can't vouch for sip or pyqt.

You don't need PyKDE (I maintain it, so I feel fairly
confident in saying that). The recent tarballs for *both*
PyQt and PyKDE include sip files (in the sip/ directory
under the top level directory in the tarball). You can
get these at:

http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk

which is the PyQt website.

I don't know how gentoo packages PyQt, but it isn't possible
any longer to build PyQt without the sip files (unless someone
has done a prebuild, like an rpm). You generate the C++ files
to compile locally on your machine before compiling, and you
need the sip files to do this. Same for PyKDE. At least that's
how a "standard" install from source works.

If you have a working 'locate' or 'find' you should be able to
determine where qtmod.sip is located if you have them, and the
other sip files should be in the same location. eric is also in
the same general vicinity as the sip files (under the same parent)
unless it's been moved someplace like /usr/bin.

If you have PyQt installed, you should see a bunch of PyQt libs
and py files in site-packages under python/ or wherever your
Python executables/modules are located. You should be able to do
'import qt' in the Python interpreter if PyQt is installed
correctly.

I also haven't looked at how Gerard builds PyQwt, but I suspect
you need to be able to import (similar to #include) the PyQt
files to build. You can usually get a message to Gerard on
the PyKDE mailing list (which also serves for PyQt, sip and
some related stuff) at: