Command.com hosed. OS.system python modules won't execute properly

Tony C cappy2112 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 7 23:13:45 EST 2002

In order to get my Python environment variables, and path working correctly, under Windows 98, I had to add the following to my config.sys, because my environment ran out of space

shell=C:\command.com /p /E:4096

Now, when I try to execute modules in OS, such as OS.system('cls'), python reports the following error

 >>> import os
>>> os.system('cls')
Invalid COMMAND.COM
Enter correct name of Command Interpreter (eg, C:\COMMAND.COM)

If I don't add the /p to the shell= statement, a "File Creation Error" message is displayed before Windows 98 loads, and the DOS prompt is displayed.

I found the /P solution to the "File creation error" message problem on Google:groups. Apparently a lot of people had the same problem, in Win 95 days.

Does anyboy have some insight to my command interpreter problem ?

thanks