A Minimal Python Distribution

Rod Crawford- Ardbeg rod at ardbeg.net
Tue Nov 19 02:17:11 EST 2002

We are thinking of using python as the language for prescribing a tool to
install new firmware in our customers development boards.

We want existing users of our boards to quickly download the installer (and
firmware to be installed) from our website onto a PC, then connect their
boards and update. (The firmware is a few 100K max).

We found that the complete python distribution is too big to do this kind of
thing.... our customers are hardware guys who probably will (alas) never use
python themselves, want to rapidly download the firmware and won't want
python appearing in their "start menu".

Is there a recognized minimal/subset of python that we could start from that
would be a short download for them, but provide the features we need?

Regards,

Rod.