A vision for Parrot

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Nov 6 04:07:57 EST 2002

.

>A key part of his proposal was that Guile would support translators
>from other languages, like Python, C, etc., to Guile.
>
>It didn't happen.  Writing those translators are hard because each
>of the languages has different object models, which must be implemented
>nearly perfectly.  Guile is a full-fledge language built on years of
>research into Lisp and scheme, so I would be surprised if it was any
>easier to implement in Parrot's byte code.  It didn't happen with
>Guile, it's even less likely to happen with Parrot.

Isn't it a commonplace that the n x m translation problem is best solved
by having a common intermediate? This seems more efficient when

m+n < n*m

it seems that only those with sufficient muscle can force this on the
world eg Sun/IBM/M$. They can clearly see the need to support only one
backend.

Funnily enough they kept telling me that as soon as I switched to
F99/C++ etc etc that everything would be portable. Now the buzz is
C#/Mono or Java, and perhaps Parrot. As long as the wheels keep turning
and the $'s flow they'll keep promising the next sliced bread.
--
Robin Becker