List slice assignment and custom sequences

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Nov 5 09:03:46 EST 2002

Ronald Oussoren <oussoren at cistron.nl> writes:

> No, I want to replace part of a sequence by another sequence. I don't
> understand _why_ the RHS must be a list if the LHS is one.

Because Objects/listobject.c:list_ass_slice pokes directly into the
object passed on the RHS.

A patch to change this would have some chance of getting accepted;
wouldn't like to guess what, but I'd hazard non-zero.

Cheers,
M.

--
  All programs evolve until they can send email.      -- Richard Letts
  Except Microsoft Exchange.                                    -- Art