python gui rant

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Wed Nov 13 12:30:44 EST 2002

On 13 Nov 2002 16:33:26 GMT, grante at visi.com (Grant Edwards) wrote:

>In article <aqt734$r6j$0 at 216.39.172.122>, Bengt Richter wrote:
>
>> Your mention of Delphi made me recall that you can right click on a gui form
>> and select 'view as text' from the popup menu, and you get to see all the
>> parameters that define your layout. E.g. a default form with one button dropped
>> on it near the top left:
>>
>> object Form1: TForm1
>>   Left = 200
>>   Top = 108
>>   Width = 544
>>   Height = 375
>>   Caption = 'Form1'
>[...]
>>   object Button1: TButton
>>     Left = 40
>>     Top = 24
>>     Width = 75
>>     Height = 25
>>     Caption = 'Button1'
>
><rant>
>
>One warning: there is a very special place reserved in hell for
>people who design GUI dialogs with hard-wired widget locations
>so that the dialogs can't be resized.  One of the reasons I
>really hate working with MS-Windows because of all the dialog
>boxes that use 80% of the space in a dialog for useless crap,
>and then show only four lines in a list-box containing 100+
>elements.  A decent GUI would let you resize the dialog so you
>could see more of the stuff in the list-box.  But not
>MS-Windows....
>
></rant>

Well, the above is just a snapshot of the state of a bunch of properties.
In Delphi you can easily add code to vary them dynamically however you want
and have the visual appearance automatically keep up in most cases.

You can also design dialogs that would behave to your specs. It's not windows
the OS (though there's plenty of other stuff to rant about ;-) or Delphi that
you're ranting against, it's product of particular app coders ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter