Create DLL in Python ?

Georges Bernier mistericeberg at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 11 19:07:55 EST 2002

Hello,

We have a legacy application at work written in Visual C which makes
use of a DLL for specific communication functions. Now I have to
replace this DLL (whose API is well documented) with an enhanced
version which will make use of TCP/IP instead of older protocols
without changing the original C application (or at least changing the
minimum possible).

Naturally I was thinking of using Python (as it has great network
libraries and would simplify the development) but after much googling
haven't found a clear answer on how to generate standalone DLLs from
Python (i.e. DLLs which are not Python extensions).

So does anybody have experience in such a thing, is it a bad idea (as
I'm starting to think is is) and would it better be done in C/C++ ?
I would appreciate comments from the Python community on this.

Thanks !

Georges Bernier