Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Sun Nov 10 08:44:38 EST 2002

"Paul Sage" <psage at ncaustin.com> writes:

> However, LISP also was not obvious to me as a 'real-world' language
> because it just always felt like I had to recreate the wheel when I
> used it for anything applicable to a real world application.

Funny, when it comes to wheels (data types/structures and
algorithms/utilities) Common Lisp has the most comprehensive set built
in to the language.

Its weakness is the relative lack of libraries built out of those
components, compared to what you would find for, say, Python.

> In all fairness, my impression of LISP was based around a language I
> had to learn in college and the tasks that were assigned to me.

And such college courses are notorious for giving a very strange (and
damaging) introduction to Lisp, and for giving Lisp a bad name.