Possible Win32 Tkinter bug?

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Thu Nov 14 20:00:07 EST 2002

Hmmm, this is a strange one:

I have Tkinter program which works pretty much as I want. Among the
things it does at startup time is to first establish the main UI and
then optionally use a tkMessageBox.showwarning() to let the user know if
there is a problem with the contents of a config file. After the user
presses OK, the warning disappears and only the main UI window is
left.

Under X, this works just fine. Under Win32 the program works fine if no
warning message box every appears. However, if a warning is displayed,
the main UI never gets focus back after the user presses OK on the
message box. I have to select on a completely separate Win32 window or
the Desktop and then back to the main UI before I get focus back
to the widget in the Tk application again.

If I had this problem in both environments I would rapidly assume it
is my poor understanding of Tkinter that is the problem.  However,
since it works fine in one environment and not the other, it would
suggest several possibilities:

	1) A Tkinter/Python problem on Win32 (python 2.2.2 on Win2K SP3)
	2) Strange Win32 semantics which I am not accommodating
	3) Stupid coding on my part only revealed on Win32...

Has anyone seen this before?

Tim Daneliuk
tundra at tundraware.com