Textbooks on Perl/Python

Alessandro Bottoni alessandro.bottoni at infinito.it
Sat Nov 2 03:37:06 EST 2002

Alle 23:53, venerdì 1 novembre 2002, Jalab ha scritto:
> Greetings all,
> Any help in finding a university level textbook on the subject of
> "Scripting languages" I am mainly looking for a book that covers Perl
> and Python only as the 2 main scripting languages and that is written
> for students, i.e. chapter summary, exercises, etc. I hate to force my
> student to buy and study from two separate books.

I do not know about Perl (I just keep myself away from it, if possible).
Regarding Python there are at least two very good
beginner's level books:

Learning Python
Mark Lutz + David Ascher
O'Reilly

Learn to program using Python
Alan Gauld
Addison Wesley

Neither one of them includes exercises or any other feature specifically
intended for university students, unfortunately.

There is also a project devoted to make Python _the_ language for educational
purposes. You will find the related documentation at www.python.org.

BTW, this would be an opportunity to write such a book, maybe as a collective
effort coordinated by the educational SIG (special interest group) of python,
maybe starting from the very good book of Alan Gauld. This approach could
cope with the small market available for the book.

(Here, I suppose you need a book devoted to programming with Perl or Python,
not a book on creating language interpreters).