python -u under cygwin telnet

Mike avajrd at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 2 22:45:20 EST 2002

Perhaps somebody here can enlighten me on this.

I have a small program that interfaces with a serial port using the
uspp (univerisal serial port) package.  This required the win32all
v148 as a pre-req.  This program works as designed from cmd.exe.

Python version is "Python 2.2.2 (#37, Oct 14 2002, 17:02:34) [MSC 32
bit (Intel)] on win32"

I needed to have this program called from a cgi script using expect so
I installed the latest cygwin and configured inetd to run a service to
support telnetd.  When I try to run the python interpreter
interactively from a telnet session, I do not get any prompts.

When I run the program, it works, but no output is displayed until it
terminates.  Using the -u switch overcomes this.

The cygwin version of python works correctly interactively, but I
can't use this because uspp does not work in cygwin.

I do not get this behaviour from a cygwin bash shell from the machine,
not using telnet.

Does any of this make sense?  I'm not really in a "pickle" (sorry for
the pun), but just trying to understand why.