update tkinter window

Roger morris_r at 4j.lane.edu
Thu Nov 14 16:59:41 EST 2002

I've been messing with tkinter a little.
I was trying to just come up with a window that would show the current
time.
stealing some code from examples, I came up with:

#!/usr/bin/python
from time import localtime,strftime
from Tkinter import *
eugtime=""
class myclock(Frame):
   def update_stats(self):
      eugtime=strftime("%H:%M:%S",localtime())
      self.entry=Entry()
      self.entry.pack()
      self.contents=StringVar()
      self.contents.set(eugtime)
      self.entry["textvariable"]=self.contents
      self.after(1000,self.update_stats)

   def __init__(self,msecs=1000):
      Frame.__init__(self)
      self.msecs=msecs
      self.pack()
      self.after(1000,self.update_stats)
myclock(msecs=1000).mainloop()

the problem is the window keeps adding a new time making the window ever
increasing in size.
How do I update the window so the contents (the time) get updated rather
than just display the new time?

Thanks
--
Roger