slow on HPUX, SunOS, fast on MS Win2K and Linux?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu Nov 7 10:11:11 EST 2002

Harry George wrote:

> Is there some reason python code which builds objects should be
> notably slow on HPUX or SunOS? Some known code optimization problem?

Not known to me, but the symptom sounds very much like malloc
is very slow on those platforms compared with malloc on the Intel
hardware platforms you've confronting them with.  You could try
building 2.3a0 off CVS -- it has VERY substantial optimizations
in terms of memory allocation and handling in particular -- or,
even with 2.2.2, try to force it to be built to use pymalloc (I
have not needed to do it so I'm not sure about the details, but
I'd guess it would probably be some --with-what=ever at config),
which is an optimized-for-Python memory allocation package.

Alex