Popular conceit about learning programming languages

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Thu Nov 21 18:32:45 EST 2002

Bengt Richter wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:03:48 +0100, Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> wrote:
>>Could you try to describe what it means to you to think in Python? What
>>makes it different from thinking in other languages? (This is not a
>>rhetorical question!)
>>

> (Please pardon my jumping in with my view. I realize you didn't ask me ;-)

Nor did you answer him! :)

What is it about Pythonthink that is different from Otherlangthink?

I actually was wondering the same thing, because I do not see a lot
different in Python from C other than very practical advantages, such as
the indentation thang and GC. But I just am digging into Python, so
whadoiknow?

My biggest mindfuck was learning Prolog. Declarative vs procedural. The
prior champ was Logo, specifically learning to think recursion when I
wanted to iterate. That sort of thing.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc