Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 19 15:23:51 EST 2002

David Eppstein wrote:
> In article <y1wC9.3258$jt3.1116 at newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>,
>  Steven Rumbalski <srumbalski at prodigy.net> wrote:

>>>This is after how many decades of Lisp compiler development?
>>>

>>Sheesh.  How long have C compilers been around?
>

> Not as long as Lisp by a long shot,..

Lisp has been around a long time, but how long have Lisp compilers been
around?

> and C was designed to be easy to
> compile.

Hunh? That was my point. Compiled CL being 20% slower than C has nothing
to do with the ability of CL compiler writers, it has to do with late
binding and dynamism in general.

I mean, this whole digression is silly. CL compiler writers have access
to the research on compiler design. And like I said, apparently they
know what they are doing based on CL being almost as fast as (portable)
assembler.

The digression is silly for another reason: it started with someone
saying Lispers should not call other languages slow. Whether you like
respect CL compiler writers or not, compiled CL is almost as fast as C.

so.... slow! slow! slow! :)

Mind you, slow is fine given the performance of today's systems. I mean,
it's relative, and a relatively slow language with other virtues is
great if it is fast enough. My apps tend to use as much speed as they
can get, but a whole lot get more than enough horsepower from today's
boxes, so why not use that surplus to power an only relatively slow
language.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc