Jeff Sandys sandysj at juno.com
Mon Nov 11 11:16:43 EST 2002

Klaus Momberger wrote:
> Jeff Sandys <sandysj at juno.com> wrote in message news:<3DCBDAAD.AD27DFEE at juno.com>...
> > One reason is that Python has a lower threshold for learning.
> > We can get a non-programmer productive in Python in 8-16 hours
> >
> Pardon me, but I totally disagree on that.
> A *non-programmer* *productive* in Python within 8 hours ??? Gimme a break.

The *non-programmers* are computer and unix literate engineers and
scientist.
And *productive* means able to write a simple file manipulation script
on their own.
Our *trainer* is a computer scientist/programmer with good communication
skills.

7th and 8th graders can start writing functions after about 4-6 hours
and classes
after 8-12 hours of computer lab training.  What I am talking about is
the
threshold of productivity, when people can write a useful program on
their own,
not when someone can write a full feature 1000+ lines of code
application.
These times are from my personal experience, what is your experience?

My point is that the sooner someone can do something productive on their
own
the more likely they are to continue using the tool, and Python has a
lower
threshold that Lisp or Scheme. (It's just my opinion, I could be wrong)

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys