Making a better textbook (was Re: The Deitel book)

CShannon shannon at centre.edu
Thu Nov 7 13:38:44 EST 2002

I am a college professor and use Python as the language in our first
course -- designed for both majors and non-majors alike.  There are a
number of good python reference books around.  Most of them are not
appropriate as text books however because they have few examples and
often no exercises.  I like a book that is moderate in size.  Books
often have more material than can be covered in a single semester but
it shouldn't be so large (or expensive) as to intimidate all but the
bravest of souls.  In my course, students are also expected to buy a
text dealing with social/ethical issues.

I realize the problem of course.  In my class we do cover all the
introductory material, and object oriented programming, but we also
use VPython for graphics and write some cgi scripts to process html
forms. Selecting exactly the topics to satisfy very diverse topics
without writing an enormous text is not easy.