python gui rant

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Wed Nov 13 04:47:16 EST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:21:33 +0100, "Gumuz" <gumuz at looze.net> wrote:

>sorry guys/girls, but i had to vent this :)
>

>i am using wxPython at the moment as my python gui. Coming from a nice IDE
>like Delphi it's really frustrating to get a nice layout together. I tried
>some tools. The one i liked most, because of it's simplicity was wxGlade,
>but still... it's not there yet. I might have missed something here and I
>don't want to complain, but I think that a good, robust gui-designer will
>open up a lot of posibilities for python. i might give it a shot!

Your mention of Delphi made me recall that you can right click on a gui form
and select 'view as text' from the popup menu, and you get to see all the
parameters that define your layout. E.g. a default form with one button dropped
on it near the top left:

object Form1: TForm1
  Left = 200
  Top = 108
  Width = 544
  Height = 375
  Caption = 'Form1'
  Font.Charset = DEFAULT_CHARSET
  Font.Color = clWindowText
  Font.Height = -11
  Font.Name = 'MS Sans Serif'
  Font.Style = []
  PixelsPerInch = 96
  TextHeight = 13
  object Button1: TButton
    Left = 40
    Top = 24
    Width = 75
    Height = 25
    Caption = 'Button1'
    TabOrder = 0
  end
end

I wonder if anyone has written a translator for this information to port a GUI design
into wxWindows or tkinter. The Delphi IDE is quite nice for fiddling with your visual
design (other aspects of Delphi are nice too, but that's another topic).

Regards,
Bengt Richter