Boost.Python sans Jam

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 22 00:35:53 EST 2002

    Mark> Hello all, I'd like to use the product of Boost.Python (ie
    Mark> libboost_python and the necessary header files) without
    Mark> resorting to using jam as my comilation system (why?  I want
    Mark> to learn one thing at a time ... right now I'll focus on
    Mark> Boost.Python ... when I want to learn jam, I'll look at it).

Not the answer to you question -- but, I had the same philosophy when
I first encountered bjam.  I wanted to go it along with the tools I
was familiar with.  When I was unsuccessful, I went back to bjam and
after about 15 minutes of RTFM-ing, I was successful.  So I suggest
you do it the way the library developers suggest.  it worked better
for me that way.

As a starting point, here is the beginning of my compile notes of a
(dated) python version specific build of boost::python with bjam:

# Build the libs:
cd ~/c/lib/boost_1_28_0
bjam -sPYTHON_VERSION=2.1 clean
bjam -sPYTHON_VERSION=2.1 -d2 >& bjam.out

cd libs/python/build
bjam -sPYTHON_VERSION=2.1

# the rest is a platform specific description of how I installed the
# libs for my platform (red hat linux)

Sorry for the OT post :-).

JDH